Many people like to watch horror movies because they want to vicariously experience horrific and emotional content. When we face our fears it gives us an “Adrenaline rush” and that is what makes scary movies so fun to watch. But why are these video games different? When you watch a horror movie like Saw or Texas Chainsaw Massacre you experience horror and emotions but the one thing that always makes you feel okay is that “it’s just a movie, its not real.” However, with the advances in gaming technology, video games can now make you feel like you are the character in the game. Since you are in control of all the decisions and actions your character makes it enhances the adrenaline rush and makes you feel even more alive. These are our top 5 picks for the scariest games out there that will scare the living hell out of you!
- Slender Man: At number 5 on this list we have the infamous “Slender Man” created by Eric Knudsen in 2009. What started out as an internet meme, eventually became a thrilling horror game. After going viral and sparking artwork it became an official game. Starting out in the woods, your only clues are to look around for notes. You start in the daytime, but as you find more notes the daylight quickly begins to fade. Sounds easy right? Except for the fact that you have Slender Man following you everywhere you go, whether or not you can actually see him. If you look at him for too long you are dead. As you progress farther in the game, the harder it is to stay away from Slender Man. Do you think you have what it takes to survive the night?
- Dead Space 2. Sitting at number 4 we have “Dead Space 2”. With all the other horror games we have chosen it was hard to choose the right ranking for it as all of these games will make it hard to sleep at night. is a science fiction survival video game created by Visceral Gamesand published by Electronic Artsfor Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, released in January 2011.
If you have ever played the original Resident Evil Games it has a resemblance in the fighting aspect of the game. The game begins in a hospital on the Sprawl, a densely populated metropolis built on a shard of Titan, one of Saturn’s moons. Even the game’s creative director, Wright Bagwell, said that ,”Dead Space is very similar to Resident Evil “There’s an interesting story from Dead Space and Dead Space 2, which is that when we started building Dead Space, we basically started with a mechanic set that was really similar to Resident Evil 4. The development team were all huge fans of that game.
- The Evil Within: is a third-person survival horror video game developed by Tango Gameworksand published by Bethesda Softworks. The game was directed by Resident Evilseries creator, Shinji Mikami, and was released worldwide in October 2014 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One. Once again, with an influence coming from Resident Evil, this game is sure to make you scream. As you travel through nightmare-like worlds, you fight off demons, mutants, and monsters running at your with chainsaws. The game received great reviews on its horror aspect, with its only flaws having some technical issues that surely would have been solved by now.
- Resident Evil 7: Developed and published by Capcom, this game was released worldwide for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox Onein January 2017, with the PlayStation 4 version having support for the PlayStation VRheadset. Having been out for only around one week, it has already gained popularity for “going back to its roots, and bringing back the horror in the series” Considering many of the other games in this top 5 list have given credit and used ideas from the series just shows how scary this game and game series has become. Exploring a plantation, you fight off the Baker family who are…. quite interesting to say the least. As you solve puzzles, fight off monsters, and fight just to stay alive you will surely get a thrill out of playing this game. The only con is that the story only takes roughly 8 hours to beat if you know what you are doing. Still, the game is sure to deliver when it comes to terrifying you.
- Outlast: At number one on this list we have chosen Outlast. Outlast is a first-person survival horror game developed and published by Red Barrels. You play as Miles Upshur, a freelance investigative journalist who decides to investigate a remote psychiatric hospitallaying deep in the mountains of Lake County, Colorado. Initially released on the PS4 as a free game for gold memebers, it quickly gained popularity and became notorious as being possibly the scariest game ever made. What makes this game so much scarier than the others on the list? Its simple; you don’t get to fight back. In Resident Evil, or other survival horror games you defend yourself with guns or melee weapons as you cling on to life. In Outlast however, your only way to survive is to run. As a journalist you start the game without any weapons so your only options are to run and hide when an enemy has spotted you. To make things worse, most of the game is very dark requiring you to use your video-recorder to have temporary “night-vision.” That only lasts as long as you have batteries to charge it, which can be found by exploring the hospital. One of the greatest things about this game, and why it received number one on our list is not only that it is probably the scariest game of all time, but that it the amount of gameplay you get out of it is tremendous. If you explore the game could easily last you up to 30 hours of content. Along with the hundreds of times that you will die just trying to figure things out, this game is sure to not only scare the hell out of you, but makes your money worth the ride. (get ready for tons of jump scares)
If you want to see the gameplay on some of these game check out the video: