You might come to the point where you need to reset your Echo Dot. Often, if you are giving away your smart speaker, or if your Echo Dot just isn’t working properly, a good idea would be to reset it. That’s likely why you are here – to figure out how to reset the Echo Dot. First of all, you will need to know which generation of the Echo Dot you have to properly reset it – but that’s not too hard to find out.
Through the Alexa App
Called ‘deregistering’, this process can be done with any generation of the Echo Dot and is a fast and simple way to reset the device easily.
- Open the Alexa App and navigate to Devices at the bottom of the page.
- Select Echo & Alexa
- Select the device that you are looking to reset.
- Select the Settings Icon (Gear) in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, next to the device’s name.
- Scroll down the page to the word Deregister
- Confirm your selection.
Your device is now no longer registered to you and will reset. You may still need to do a full factory reset, however, but this step will remove yourself from your device and reset aspects of it.
Echo Dot (1st Generation)
- Obtain a paper clip, pin or another small tool.
- Locate the Reset button on the back of the device.
- Press the Reset button and hold it down for 5 seconds with your small tool. The light should turn off and back on again, showing your device is reset.
Echo Dot (2nd Generation)
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Microphone Off buttons at the same time.
- Wait about 20 seconds for the light ring to glow orange, then release. Your device is now reset.
Echo Dot (3rd Generation)
- Find the Action button on top of the device.
- Press and hold the Action button (Button with just a dot) for about 25 seconds. Then your device will be reset.
Echo Dot (4th Generation)
- Hold down the Action Button (Circle button) for about 10 seconds. During this time the lights at the bottom will flash.
- Keep holding down the button as Alexa speaks to you until the Echo Dot says that you are in Reset Mode. Then you can release the button and let the device reset.
- After a few moments, Alexa will ask you to set up your device!
Your Echo Dot should now be fully reset, so you can start the set-up process to begin using your Echo Dot again!
Did it work? Let us know on Twitter!
The fighting in Ukraine is causing families to flee their homes. Please give now to save lives and protect people in need. Donate today!
Along with the latest games, merch, and accessories, the GameByte Shop has an epic Loyalty Points Scheme – earning you points for every £1 you spend to redeem for huge discounts! Also, sign up to our newsletter to be notified of new-gen console drops, deals, and more. Please note the GameByte Shop is available for UK customers only.
Featured Image Credit: Pexels